Tuesday 15 February 2011

My First Item of Clothing...

I have tinkered with the sewing machine, I have made cushions (lots of cushions) and bags, and little bits and pieces. BUT for about six months I have been attempting to make my first actual piece of clothing.  Now, most people start with a simple skirt (I would strongly recommend this route to anyone who wants to start sewing) but I, for no logical reason I can find started with a linen shirt! The only explanation I can give for this madness is that my husband happened to come with me to the habidashery and found this in the burda easy section and said how he liked it.  (I think at the time I must have been trying to convince him what a good idea it would be for me to take up yet another hobby.)
The reason it has taken six months is that every time I tried to read one of the instructions, I realised that I had no idea what I was doing and found lots of other very important things to do. But every now and then I would sit down with my plethora of books for beginners and have a stab at part of it and finally it is complete...SQUEEE!!!!
So without further ado - my first item of clothing:
Burda Easy 8461
Burda Easy 8461

 I am quite proud of this.  It need adjusting in a few places, apparently the shoulders are uncomfortable and the amount of chest on show would put my hubby off wearing this, but my plan is to add a piece of material behind the lace of the chest. 
I am not sure about this at the moment, but I'm toying with the idea of possibly putting a white cotton behind this, just to make it less black.
Evil Collar!
The hardest part of this by far was the collar, I lost sleep over this collar. In the end I went to Burda's website where they actually have a forum to go when you are really stuck on something and they offer advice and help.  


Right.... I think I might try a nice easy skirt now......

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You did it! Well done you. I'd try it with a black modesty panel before the white. It might just work.

    ReplyDelete

All messages are welcome and Thank You for commenting : )