Sunday 23 January 2011

Companion Cube

This is something that I made for the hubby for our wedding anniversary back in November and thought it would make a good first blog item just because it is so random!  For those of you who aren't quite as geeky as me, the companion cube is device used in a game called 'Portal '. Somehow the cube itself got quite a following, including my hubby.  Although it is completely geeky, it has got a pink heart on each side of the cube, and when thinking of something to do for his anniversary gift i stumbled upon bellastitch, who has put up a step by step guide to making this little beauty! I knew that I wanted to do something with the companion cube but hadn't decided what to do with it.  After a quick google search I realised that a lot of people had done the companion cube in one form or another.  People have made cakes, costumes, embroideries and knitted companion cubes!  I must admit that I was surprised at the sheer volume of creativity on the web!


I pretty much followed the directions from bellastitch, which were brilliant, with photos at each stage.  I weighted my companion cube with decoration sand, so it has quite a nice weight to it.  Although the cross stitch itself was simple, it requires a lot of patience, due to the fact that it needs to be repeated so many times.  After sewing each of the individual cube faces, I attached fusible interfacing to make sure that it held it's cube shape.  The most difficult bit by far was trying to sew it all together and keep it somewhat cube shaped.  Unfortunately my stitching left a lot to be desired so I headed off to my local habidashery the day before our wedding anniversary and got some silver ribbon and fabric glue and finished it off just in time.

I have subsequently been called the geekiest wive alife, but it went down very well with the hubby so all's well that end's well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All messages are welcome and Thank You for commenting : )